Writing and Illustrating For Young Readers Fellowship Award
In conjunction with the Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers (WIFYR) conference and its goal to educate and assist aspiring authors, one full-day conference attendee will receive $1,000.00. The Fellowship Award is intended to further the recipient’s work in the writing field.
The winning recipient will exhibit gifted writing ability, consistent long-term dedication to the craft, and demonstrate financial need.
Submissions for the $1,000.00 merit and need-based award will be accepted beginning (and no sooner than) March 25th and no later than midnight, Mountain Standard Time, April 27th. Entries which do not meet eligibility requirements, financial need, or fail to follow submission guidelines will not be considered.
Writing and Illustrating For Young Readers Fellowship Award Rules for 2015
- Applicants will have completed paid registration for a 2015 WIFYR conference workshop.
- Applicants will submit the first twenty pages of their completed or work-in-progress manuscript along with a detailed chapter by chapter synopsis OR two completed picture book manuscripts. The winning entry will be a polished work by an experienced author. Submissions will be made online. See Submission Instructions, 6, below.
- Applicants will write a statement of financial need detailing income and related financial hardships and obligations, and how the scholarship will help further their work as a writer.
- Applicants will include two letters of recommendation and a short author biography detailing the length of time spent pursuing writing, publication credits, and/or other evidences of dedication to the craft such as writing conferences attended, writing groups, or proof of submissions.
- Requirements: All applicants must complete paid conference registration, and submit the first twenty pages of one manuscript and a detailed chapter by chapter synopsis OR two picture book manuscripts, a paragraph explaining financial need, two letters of recommendation, and their author bio; no sooner than Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 8 a.m. Mountain Standard Time, and no later than Monday, April 27, 2015, 12 a.m., MST, to be considered for the Scholarship Award. No early entries will be accepted. Late entries will be disqualified. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- Submission Instructions: Send all entries to: email@example.com as email attachments. On the pages to be judged, DO NOT include your name or any identifying information. Include a separate title page with the name of your manuscript or picture books, your name, address, and contact information, and the workshop you will attend at the 2015 WIFYR conference. Please submit either twenty pages or two picture books, not a sampling of each.
- In the event of no qualifying entries, the WIFYR committee reserves the right to withhold the WIFYR Fellowship Award.
- The winner will be announced before the keynote speech on Friday of the WIFYR Conference.
Past Award Winners
2014: Alicia VanNoy Call
2013: Jane Hughes
2012: Taryn Albright