Here it is, everyone. A chance for a talented and deserving writer to receive a big cash award to help further his/her work in progress. New this year, the winning entry prize includes consideration for publication with Familius Publishing!
The deadline has just been extended through May 11th, so you still have time to polish and submit your work (and letters of recommendation).
Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers announces its Second 2013 Annual WIFYR Writing Competition and Scholarship Award.
In conjunction with The Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers Conference (WIFYR) and its goal to educate and assist aspiring authors, one full-day conference attendee will receive $1000.00 intended to further the recipient’s work in the writing/illustration field as well as a chance at publication through Familius Publishing.
The winning recipient will exhibit gifted writing ability, consistent long-term dedication to the craft, and financial need.
Submissions for the $1000 merit and need-based award will be accepted beginning (and no sooner than) March 25th and no later than midnight, Mountain Standard Time, May 11th. Entries which do not meet eligibility requirements, financial need, or fail to follow submission guidelines will not be considered.
First Annual WIFYR Writing Competition and Scholarship Award Rules:
1. Applicants will have completed paid registration for a 2013 WIFYR conference workshop.
2. Authors will submit the first twenty pages of their completed or work in progress manuscript along with a detailed chapter by chapter synopsis OR two completed picture book manuscripts. Illustrators will submit one manuscript with illustrations. The winning entry will be a polished work by an experienced author/illustrator. Submissions will be made online. See Submission Instructions, 6, below.
3. Applicants will write a statement detailing how the scholarship will help further their work as a writer/illustrator.
4. Applicants will include two letters of recommendation and a short author biography detailing the length of time spent pursuing writing/illustrating, publication credits, and/or other evidences of dedication to the craft such as writing conferences, writing groups, or proof of submissions.
5. Requirements: All applicants must complete paid conference registration, and submit: 1. one 20-page manuscript OR two picture books, 2. a paragraph explaining financial need, 3. two letters of recommendation and 4. their author bio, no sooner than Monday, March 25th, 8 a.m. Mountain Standard Time, and no later than Saturday, May 11th, 12 midnight., MST, to be considered for the Scholarship Award. No early entries will be accepted. Late entries will be disqualified.
6. Submission Instructions:
Send all entries to: email@example.com
. Send the first twenty pages of your manuscript and a detailed chapter by chapter synopsis OR two completed picture book manuscripts, OR illustrated picture book, plus all other required letters and statements, as e-mail attachments. DO NOT include your name or any identifying information on the pages to be judged. Include a separate title page with the name of your manuscript or picture books, your name, address, and contact information, and the workshop you will attend at the 2013 WIFYR conference. Please submit either manuscript pages or picture books, not a sampling of each.
7. In the event of no qualifying entries, the WIFYR committee reserves the right to withhold the fellowship award.
8. The winner will be announced during the 2013 WIFYR Conference.