1st Annual WIFYR Writing Competition and Fellowship Award
Here it is, everyone. A chance for a talented and deserving writer to receive a big cash award to help further his/her work in progress. Entries will be submitted beginning March 20th, so use this next week to really polish your work!
Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers announces its First Annual WIFYR Writing Competition and Fellowship Award
In conjunction with The Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers Conference (WIFYR) and its goal to educate and assist aspiring authors, one full-day conference attendee will receive $1000.00 intended to further the recipient’s work in the children’s writing field. The winning recipient will exhibit gifted writing ability, consistent long-term dedication to the craft, and demonstrate financial need.
Submissions for the $1000 merit and need-based award will be accepted beginning (and no sooner than) March 20th and no later than midnight, Mountain Standard Time, April 20th. Entries which do not meet eligibility requirements, financial parameters, or fail to follow submission guidelines will not be considered.
First Annual WIFYR Writing Competition and Scholarship Award Rules:
- Applicants must have completed paid registration for a 2012 WIFYR conference workshop.
- Applicants must submit the first twenty pages of their completed or work in progress fiction manuscript in the children’s writing genre, or two completed picture book manuscripts. The winning entry will be a polished work by an experienced author. Submissions will be made online. See Submission Instructions, 6, below.
- Applicants must write a statement of financial need detailing income and related financial hardships and obligations, and how the scholarship will help further their work as a writer.
- Applicants must include two letters of recommendation and a short author biography detailing the length of time spent pursuing writing, publication credits, and/or other evidences of dedication to the craft such as attendance at writing conferences, writing groups, or proof of submissions.
- Eligibility Requirements: All applicants must complete paid conference registration, and submit: 1. their 20-page children’s writing manuscript or two picture books, 2.statement of financial need, 3. two letters of recommendation, and 4. their author bio, no sooner than Wednesday, March 20th, 8 a.m. Mountain Standard Time, and no later than Friday, April 20th, 12 a.m., MST, to be considered for the Scholarship Award. No early entries will be accepted. Late entries will be disqualified.
- In the event of no qualifying entries, the WIFYR committee reserves the right to withhold the fellowship award.
- Submission Instructions: Send entries to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Send the first twenty pages of your manuscript (or two completed picture book manuscripts) and all other required letters and statements as e-mail attachments. DO NOT include your name or any identifying information on manuscript pages to be judged. Include a separate title page with the name of your manuscript or picture books, your name, address, and contact information, and the workshop you will attend at the 2012 WIFYR conference. Do include identifying information on financial statement, author bio, and letters of recommendation.
- The winner will be announced during the WIFYR Conference.